Monday, March 30, 2009

My Birthday Girl.


Shockingly, Meredith turned five at the end of last week. We were at Elkhorn Resort for the week, so had a special day for just the four of us on her birthday.

I haven't got a clue where the past five years have gone. And yet, I have absolutely no recollection of what life was like before her. I can't get over how she's changed in five years, and how I've changed too. I still remember clearly the first night in the hospital, when it was just she and I alone in the room for the first time. She was sleeping the well-earned sleep of a newborn and I couldn't fall asleep for fear I wouldn't hear her if she needed me.
Little did I know, I'd never sleep deeply again.
I slept with my glasses on that night, for fear I wouldn't be able to see her clearly.
Little did I know, I'd grown eyes in the back of my head that day.
At her birthday party yesterday with her friends from daycare I was talking to some of the other parents about how magical this age is. She is so capable of thought, and reason, and unending conversation about fascinating stuff. But when she is hurt, or scared, or sick, she still curls into my arms like the baby she once was.

I don't want her to grow up any more. Charmingly, she tells me I don't need to be sad about her growing up, because she's never going to live anywhere but with me. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment