Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Book of the Week



I'd love to keep track of which book is the flavour of the week around our house. Meredith is a real book lover, and our trip to the library is one of the highlights of her week I think. She's loved books from a very young age, and would sit to listen to a story shortly after she turned one. I began to worry that Aaron wouldn't develop the same love of books, as he can't sit still to eat, never mind read a book!
Fortunately on his own he seems to have come to a book-loving place! Quite often now I'll feel a sense of panic because I can't seem him and it's quiet. Too quiet. Whereas a few months ago that would likely have meant I'd find him with his hands in the toilet, or disassembling Meredith's CD player, now it's more likely that he's encountered a book and is making friends with it.
This week's flavour is the classic Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Eric Carle. I'm guessing someone has been reading it to his group at daycare lately, because about 10 days ago I found him penguin-strutting around the house saying "bown beah, bown beah, da da da see". We scoped out the copy hiding in his bookshelf, and it's been a faithful companion ever since.


While his favourite page is the teacher, he spends a lot of time looking at the green frog too. He's magically attracted to green. He'll choose the green diaper from the stack of Fuzzi Bunz, he'll eat the green Smartie from a group in front of him, he'll choose the green bowl over any other colour. Clearly he knows redheads look good in green.....

No comments:

Post a Comment