Thursday, March 19, 2009

Loveys

I don't remember having a particular lovey as a child. I do have a bear now that I remember from my grandma's house in Deloraine. He's very shabby, needs a bit of stitching up in fact, but is still very special. As I recall, my brothers and I took turns and shared him when we stayed there. And we stayed there a lot as kids while my mom got treatments.

Meredith received a soft white kitty as a gift from one of my coworkers when she was born. It sat in her crib beside her until she became aware of it. Once she was old enough to know it was there, it quickly became a favourite. Not wanting to have it all end in a lost-lovey-crisis I went out to buy another one. Lovey insurance. But the kitty was expensive and I was cheap and decided to buy a different kitty. A kitty from Winners.

Never buy anything that you might want more of from Winners.

Soon the new kitty became the favorite kitty. So I went out to try to buy another one of that kitty. Now would not be a good time to review the math involved in the gas and time spent finding a second new, cheaper kitty versus having bought one more of the original kitty in the first place.

After scouring more than one Winners I found a second kitty. Except instead of saying "My First Kitty" on its chest, it said "My First Teddy".



'Kitty' as she was originally called lived with us. In various incarnations she was named Pinky. This was to distinguish her from the original white cat (still much beloved) named Whitey. Or Whitey-dee-dee-dee when called by her full name. Pink kitty #2 (aka Teddy) lived at our friend's house where Meredith went to daycare. To my knowledge, Meredith never knew she had two pink kittys until around the time Aaron was born and we brought her nap-time things home from the home daycare.

The kitties now tend to travel in a pack, and are rarely separated. They are differentiated by being called "the one with the perked up ears" and "the other one". On letter 'S' show and tell week, Meredith took her kittys because they are 'special' and 'shabby'. They've been to Mexico, to B.C., and back and forth to nursery school enough times to make a map of the route. They've wiped away more tears than I care to remember.

I hope Meredith will look at the pictures I've taken of the kitties some day when she is much older and remember the feeling of world-spinning-completely-as-it-should that she has now the minute she holds them.

No comments:

Post a Comment